Construction Crew Leader - 2023-24
Construction Crew Leader
For one year, get paid to build sustainable solutions in a community, gain valuable hands-on experience and prepare for your future. This full-time AmeriCorps service position offers a great opportunity to make an impact in the lives of others while building your own knowledge and skillset.
AmeriCorps National members serve the community in direct service and capacity building activities.
What will you do?
The construction crew leader plays an integral part in building and repairing homes. Lead groups of skills and unskilled volunteers and homeowner families in construction activities while maintaining a safe, efficient work environment, thus, developing and enhancing your volunteer management and construction skills.
- Typically serve Tuesday – Saturday on the build site.
- Assist with all aspects of hands-on construction tasks including, but not limited to, demolition, site prep, framing, insulation, drywall, flooring, roofing, finish carpentry and landscaping.
- Projects may include new construction, rehabilitation, critical home repair and weatherization projects.
- Lead small groups of volunteers and facilitate safe and positive experiences for everyone working on site.
- Maintain site safety by adhering to Habitat construction safety policies, modeling best practices and guidelines, volunteer education and site monitoring.
This position will focus on home construction aspects of Habitat affiliate operations.
Where will you serve?
- Organization name: Tulsa HFH
- Nearest metropolitan area: Tulsa, OK
- Full-time staff: 32
- Expected number of AmeriCorps members: 4
- Number of homes to be built: 80
- Number of homes to be repaired: 10
- Activities and attractions: Oklahoma is home to six national park sites and 18 state parks. For individuals that love the outdoors, there are 444 hiking trails, mountain biking routes, and backpacking trips just a half day drive from Tulsa. The 3rd best hiking trail in Oklahoma, Turkey Mountain, is just 10 minutes from downtown Tulsa. Take a tubing trip down the Illinois River near Tahlequah, home of the Cherokee Nation. Or travel scenic, hilly woodlands of the Sans Bois Mountains of southeast Oklahoma, where Robbers Cave State Park is a favorite of rappelers, equestrians, hikers, and outdoor lovers. This park is named for the famous outlaw cave hidden in the formation of 300 to 1,500-ft sandstone hills and cliffs. Legend has it that it was home to the hideout for a notorious group of bandits storied to be led by the outlaw Jesse James and other desperados in cahoots with local outlaw Belle Starr. The park’s legendary history blends the myths of the Wild West and wild tales of the Civil War.
- Unique projects: Tulsa HFH is in the middle of a five-year initiative to advance black homeownership by providing 250 families homes in North Tulsa. AmeriCorps members will assist Green Country Habitat advance the initiative through construction, volunteer, and homeowner services efforts. The initiative features single family homes, townhomes, duplexes, and a downtown complex called Black Wall Street Square.
Benefits of AmeriCorps service
- Living allowance of $17,600 for approximately 10 ½ months of service.
- Segal Education Award of $6,895, upon successful completion of service.
- Forbearance for most federally-guaranteed student loans.
- Health care benefits and enrollment in Employee Assistance Plan.
- Personal and medical leave — approximately 10 days total.
- Personal and professional development opportunities.
- Child care benefits, if you qualify.
- Worker’s compensation insurance.
- Housing stipend paid directly to your landlord - $250 per month
- Phone stipend - $50 per month
Applicants must be a U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident at least 18 or older and have a high school diploma or GED.
What are we looking for?
Our ideal candidates:
- Are passionate about serving the community through direct service.
- Demonstrate respect for diversity of opinion, experience, and background.
- Desire to gain hands-on experience in the affordable housing and nonprofit sector.
- Have experience working on a team.
- Possess stellar interpersonal communication skills.
- Are motivated and committed to serve full time and in person.