Deconstruction Coordinator - 2023-24
For one year, get paid to build sustainable solutions in a community, gain valuable hands-on experience and prepare for your future. This full-time AmeriCorps service position offers a great opportunity to make an impact in the lives of others while building your own knowledge and skillset.
AmeriCorps National members serve the community in direct service and capacity building activities.
What will you do?
The deconstruction coordinator assists with the management and execution of deconstruction programs involving the demolition of structures in order to reuse and recycle materials as a green alternative to landfills. Help lead volunteers and homeowner families in the removal of resellable items from remodel projects while raising awareness of sustainable building practices.
- Ensure an efficient and effective job, start to finish, including volunteer orientation and documentation. Provide leadership to volunteers, ensuring all materials are removed safely.
- Adhere to federal, state and local environmental, health and safety rules and regulations as they relate to hazardous products such as asbestos, mold and lead paint. This includes implementing procedures that ensure compliance on each deconstruction project site.
- Physically deconstruct sites based on set agreements.
- Load product into truck and safely transport to the ReStore to maintain their reuse value.
This position will focus on home construction, ReStore, and volunteer services aspects of Habitat affiliate operations.
Where will you serve?
- Organization name: Cape Fear Habitat for Humanity
- Nearest metropolitan area: Wilmington, NC
- Full-time staff: 25
- Expected number of AmeriCorps members: 7
- Number of homes to be built: 18
- Number of homes to be repaired: 25
- Activities and attractions: Explore the city’s National Register Historic District, enjoy live music, performing arts, and museum exhibitions. Visit Airlie Gardens or stroll along the pedestrian-friendly Riverwalk lined with shops and cafes. Hop aboard a water taxi to the famous World War II Battleship NORTH CAROLINA or take a scenic cruise or sightseeing tour. Experience the Carolina Beach Boardwalk, a nationally recognized seaside boardwalk. In Kure Beach, tour the Fort Fisher State Historic Site including exhibits, cannons, artifacts and the remains of the South’s largest earthen fort and site of the largest land-sea battle of the Civil War. Another popular attraction is the North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher. Dubbed North Carolina’s most naturally gifted watersports hub and one of the top surfing towns in the world, check out the active lifestyle in Wrightsville Beach.
- Unique projects: In 2023 our affiliate will be starting phase 1, which is 10 homes, of our next single family housing development. In 2023 the ReBuild Construction Crew is transitioning into the Home Repair Crew. This crew now focuses on critical home repair jobs, along with disaster related repairs.
Benefits of AmeriCorps service
- Living allowance of $17,600 for approximately 10 ½ months of service.
- Segal Education Award of $6,895, upon successful completion of service.
- Forbearance for most federally-guaranteed student loans.
- Health care benefits and enrollment in Employee Assistance Plan.
- Personal and medical leave — approximately 10 days total.
- Personal and professional development opportunities.
- Child care benefits, if you qualify.
- Worker’s compensation insurance.
- Housing stipend paid directly to your landlord - $500 per month
Applicants must be a U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident at least 18 or older and have a high school diploma or GED.
What are we looking for?
Our ideal candidates:
- Are passionate about serving the community through direct service.
- Demonstrate respect for diversity of opinion, experience, and background.
- Desire to gain hands-on experience in the affordable housing and nonprofit sector.
- Have experience working on a team.
- Possess stellar interpersonal communication skills.
- Are motivated and committed to serve full time and in person.