Homeowner Services Coordinator - 2023-24
Homeowner Services Coordinator
For one year, get paid to build sustainable solutions in a community, gain valuable hands-on experience and prepare for your future. This full-time AmeriCorps service position offers a great opportunity to make an impact in the lives of others while building your own knowledge and skillset.
AmeriCorps National members serve the community in direct service and capacity building activities.
What will you do?
The homeowner services coordinator builds and maintains the pipeline of homeowner families by leading efforts to recruit and educate qualified families for both homeownership and home repair opportunities. This role involves recruiting homeowner family applicants and serving as their point of contact as they go through the application process. Together with a family selection committee, you help select homeowner families for a variety of housing products including new home construction, repair or rehab of existing homes and weatherization projects.
- Coordinate existing programs to recruit homeowner applicants for traditional homeownership opportunities or for expanded housing products such rehab, repair or weather revitalization.
- Conduct applicant orientations and assist families throughout process of completing the housing application.
- Work with the family selection committee to select homeowner families based on established criteria and regulations.
- Work with the family services committee and staff to provide educational opportunities to homeowner families.
- On occasion, build alongside homeowner families as they complete their contract requirements.
This position will focus on homeowner services aspects of Habitat affiliate operations.
Where will you serve?
- Organization name: Tulsa HFH
- Nearest metropolitan area: Tulsa, OK
- Full-time staff: 32
- Expected number of AmeriCorps members: 4
- Number of homes to be built: 80
- Number of homes to be repaired: 10
- Activities and attractions: Oklahoma is home to six national park sites and 18 state parks. For individuals that love the outdoors, there are 444 hiking trails, mountain biking routes, and backpacking trips just a half day drive from Tulsa. The 3rd best hiking trail in Oklahoma, Turkey Mountain, is just 10 minutes from downtown Tulsa. Take a tubing trip down the Illinois River near Tahlequah, home of the Cherokee Nation. Or travel scenic, hilly woodlands of the Sans Bois Mountains of southeast Oklahoma, where Robbers Cave State Park is a favorite of rappelers, equestrians, hikers, and outdoor lovers. This park is named for the famous outlaw cave hidden in the formation of 300 to 1,500-ft sandstone hills and cliffs. Legend has it that it was home to the hideout for a notorious group of bandits storied to be led by the outlaw Jesse James and other desperados in cahoots with local outlaw Belle Starr. The park’s legendary history blends the myths of the Wild West and wild tales of the Civil War.
- Unique projects: Tulsa HFH is in the middle of a five-year initiative to advance black homeownership by providing 250 families homes in North Tulsa. AmeriCorps members will assist Green Country Habitat advance the initiative through construction, volunteer, and homeowner services efforts. The initiative features single family homes, townhomes, duplexes, and a downtown complex called Black Wall Street Square.
Benefits of AmeriCorps service
- Living allowance of $17,600 for approximately 10 ½ months of service.
- Segal Education Award of $6,895, upon successful completion of service.
- Forbearance for most federally-guaranteed student loans.
- Health care benefits and enrollment in Employee Assistance Plan.
- Personal and medical leave — approximately 10 days total.
- Personal and professional development opportunities.
- Child care benefits, if you qualify.
- Worker’s compensation insurance.
- Housing stipend paid directly to your landlord - $250 per month
- Phone stipend - $50 per month
Applicants must be a U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident at least 18 or older and have a high school diploma or GED.
What are we looking for?
Our ideal candidates:
- Are passionate about serving the community through direct service.
- Demonstrate respect for diversity of opinion, experience, and background.
- Desire to gain hands-on experience in the affordable housing and nonprofit sector.
- Have experience working on a team.
- Possess stellar interpersonal communication skills.
- Are motivated and committed to serve full time and in person.