Market Systems Manager (Uganda)
Are you a market development professional who wants to positively impact the lives of low-income families in Uganda? Do you take a dynamic and innovative approach to your work? We have an exciting opportunity to work with Habitat for Humanity Uganda, part of a renown international non-profit organization, that will facilitate the development of affordable housing products for low-income populations in Uganda.
With an average household income of $65 a month it is not surprising that over two-thirds of Ugandans live in substandard housing. The reality is clear – the lack of quality housing compromises people’s health and development opportunities and perpetuates poverty. To truly impact the housing challenges, we recognize the need to work with market actors to develop housing microfinance products and services that serve middle- to low-income populations in order to assist more families in securing a decent place to call home.
JOB TITLE: Market Systems Manager
JOB LOCATION: Kampala, Uganda (candidates must be currently eligible to work in Uganda)
TARGETED START DATE: January 2017
Reporting directly to the National Director and working with a global team of market systems development colleagues, the Market Systems Manager will lead and advance the market development initiatives of Habitat for Humanity Uganda. This position is part of a larger, global initiative sponsored by the Ron Terwilliger Center for Innovation in Shelter.
ABOUT THE TERWILLIGER CENTER FOR INNOVATION IN SHELTER: The Terwilliger Center for Innovation in Shelter works with housing market systems by supporting local firms and expanding innovative and client-responsive services, products and financing so that households can improve their shelter more effectively and efficiently. Acting as a market facilitator through the Terwilliger Center, Habitat for Humanity will have exponentially more impact by improving systems that make better housing possible for millions more families, most of whom build their homes in stages. The Terwilliger Center’s approach stays true to Habitat for Humanity’s original principles of self-help and sustainability by focusing on improving systems that enable families to achieve affordable shelter without needing ongoing direct support.
- Convene regular ‘Housing Market Forums’ that bring together market actors in key sectors that influence housing in Uganda.
- Work to facilitate solutions by Lead Firms / clients to bring about and put in place market based solutions.
- Actively identify the challenges and opportunities that are present within the affordable housing sector to support low and very low income populations.
- Produce and publish these challenges in relevant forms for debate and scrutiny.
- Seek out and pursue new business opportunities to intervene in different components of the housing market system through direct contacts, and prepare project proposals, including establishing project teams and consortia.
- Lead the design of a portfolio of projects related to housing market systems for Habitat for Humanity Uganda, which includes:
- Map the local housing market and conduct interviews with:
- Key private sector actors in the local housing market, identifying who they are, their functions, and operational challenges.
- The supporters and support services in the housing market, identifying any gap currently existing in service provision.
- Public sector organizations, examining the regulatory and policy framework that affects the affordable housing market.
- Analyze qualitative data and write up results for program design.
- Manage the budget and reporting required for housing market development work by Habitat for Humanity’s national organization.
- Engage with Habitat for Humanity’s market systems practitioners and mentors through webinars, peer to peer networking events and learning forums, e-discussions, delivery of case studies; and through online interaction, develop and maintain links for potential collaboration.
- Support another RT fellow, at least once a year, and regional market development programming streams as part of regional team activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, business administration, international development or related field
- 5+ years professional experience applying market systems development approaches for international development programs or as part of a consulting firm.
- Demonstrated ‘Client / Service’ orientation with commitment to quality.
- Demonstrated interest in the role of private sector actors, the functioning of markets and the opportunities for inclusive economic growth in Uganda.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, such as a proven ability to deal with staff, collaborators and partners from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures.
- Outstanding written and verbal English communication skills – in particular the ability to write clearly, succinctly and engagingly about technical subjects.
- Facilitation skills, being able to articulate the participation of diverse market actors in a meaningful way.
- Excellent computer and information and communication technology skills.
- Ability and aspiration to learn fast, be challenged, and be effective working as a team and autonomously.
- Ability to travel up to 10% to project locations around the country of operations and regionally.
- Must be currently eligible to work in Uganda.
- Master’s degree.
- Knowledge of affordable housing and the challenges inherent in Uganda and/or professional experience working in the housing sector.
Habitat for Humanity Uganda is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national, origin, ethnic, background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
International Programs, Strategy, International National Organization