Construction Crew Leader - 2023-24
Construction Crew Leader
For one year, get paid to build sustainable solutions in a community, gain valuable hands-on experience and prepare for your future. This full-time AmeriCorps service position offers a great opportunity to make an impact in the lives of others while building your own knowledge and skillset.
AmeriCorps National members serve the community in direct service and capacity building activities.
What will you do?
The construction crew leader plays an integral part in building and repairing homes. Lead groups of skills and unskilled volunteers and homeowner families in construction activities while maintaining a safe, efficient work environment, thus, developing and enhancing your volunteer management and construction skills.
- Typically serve Tuesday – Saturday on the build site.
- Assist with all aspects of hands-on construction tasks including, but not limited to, demolition, site prep, framing, insulation, drywall, flooring, roofing, finish carpentry and landscaping.
- Projects may include new construction, rehabilitation, critical home repair and weatherization projects.
- Lead small groups of volunteers and facilitate safe and positive experiences for everyone working on site.
- Maintain site safety by adhering to Habitat construction safety policies, modeling best practices and guidelines, volunteer education and site monitoring.
This position will focus on home construction and home repair aspects of Habitat affiliate operations.
Where will you serve?
- Organization name: Truman Heritage Habitat for Humanity
- Nearest metropolitan area: Kansas City
- Full-time staff: 14
- Expected number of AmeriCorps members: 4
- Number of homes to be built: 2
- Number of homes to be repaired: 50
- Activities and attractions: Located just east of Kansas City. An area bustling with cultural activities, arts, sports, history, and entertainment. Home of Barbeque. Our offices are in Independence, Missouri, a larger city with a small-town feel. Located just off of the Independence Square experience a town steeped with history from President Truman and the Pioneer Trails days. We rehabbed a historic school building into our Young School Homeownership and Community Center. Truman Heritage Habitat for Humanity serves Eastern Jackson County which in addition to Independence includes several cities including Blue Springs, Lee’s Summit, Raytown, and the Eastern-most part of Kansas City, MO.
- Unique projects: Rich history of service and innovation over 30 years.
- A key partner in the communities that we serve, our leadership and staff always looking for ways to better serve our community.
- Veteran Build: first regional partner affiliate participating in this initiative.
- Financial Coaching: we created the HOPE program (Home Ownership Preparation through Education) which allows free, one-on-one financial coaching and workshops to anyone interested in homeownership.
- ReStores: One in Blue Springs, one in Independence, and one in Lee’s Summit.
- Women’s Initiative: Women’s Hard Hat Society and Women Build days.
- Team Up Project: we were one of 10 Habitat affiliates selected for this national pilot project to unite across difference.
- Home Preservation and Aging in Place: we are growing our home repair and weatherization programs to help people age in place. This is our biggest growth area.
Benefits of AmeriCorps service
- Living allowance of $17,600 for approximately 10 ½ months of service.
- Segal Education Award of $6,895, upon successful completion of service.
- Forbearance for most federally-guaranteed student loans.
- Health care benefits and enrollment in Employee Assistance Plan.
- Personal and medical leave — approximately 10 days total.
- Personal and professional development opportunities.
- Child care benefits, if you qualify.
- Worker’s compensation insurance.
- Assistance with gas costs
Applicants must be a U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident at least 18 or older and have a high school diploma or GED.
What are we looking for?
Our ideal candidates:
- Are passionate about serving the community through direct service.
- Demonstrate respect for diversity of opinion, experience, and background.
- Desire to gain hands-on experience in the affordable housing and nonprofit sector.
- Have experience working on a team.
- Possess stellar interpersonal communication skills.
- Are motivated and committed to serve full time and in person.