Tax benefits of your car donation
Can I claim a tax deduction on my car donation to Habitat?
Yes. Habitat for Humanity is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Contributions, including vehicle donations, may be claimed as deductions on your federal tax return.
We accept almost all vehicles, including cars, trucks, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, boats, snowmobiles, farm equipment, construction equipment and airplanes. If you want to donate your car or truck, please go to our donation wizard. If you want to donate any other type of vehicle, please call us at 1-877-277-4344.
Need help? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-877-277-4344.
"The process is easy and simple and I even qualified for a tax deduction!"— Eric B., Providence, RI
How much can I deduct?
Once your vehicle is sold, the selling price becomes the amount of your donation.
If your vehicle sells for more than $500, you may deduct the full selling price. If your vehicle sells for $500 or less, you can deduct the “fair market value” of your vehicle, up to $500.
How do I figure out the fair market value of my car?
The following websites can help you calculate your vehicle's fair market value.
What documentation will I receive for my tax return?
Within 30 days of the sale of your vehicle, Habitat will send you a written acknowledgement/receipt. This receipt will include:
- The gross selling price of the vehicle, if it sold for greater than $500.
- Year, make, model and vehicle identification number information.
- A statement that the vehicle was sold at arms-length between two unrelated parties.
- A statement that no goods or services were received in return for your contribution.
Where can I get more information?
You can learn more by reviewing the IRS documents below or by consulting with your tax adviser.
- Publication 4303, A donor’s guide to vehicle donations (147kb .pdf)
- Publication 526, Charitable contributions (1.2mb .pdf)
- Publication 561, Determining the value of donated property (1mb .pdf)
- Form 8283, Noncash charitable contributions (256kb .pdf)
- Form 8283, Instructions (63kb .pdf)
This information was provided courtesy of our donation wizard, a service of Advanced Remarketing Services.