Register for the 2018 Jimmy & Rosalynn Carter Work Project
The 2018 Carter Work Project will be hosted by Habitat for Humanity of St. Joseph County, Indiana, on Aug. 26-31. We invite you to join President and Mrs. Carter and hundreds of volunteers as we help to build or improve more than 30 homes in Mishawaka and South Bend.
For over 30 years, former U.S. President Jimmy Carter and former first lady Rosalynn Carter have traveled across the world with Habitat for Humanity and thousands of volunteers, donating their time and voices to build and improve homes alongside Habitat homeowners. Their time and effort help raise awareness of the critical need for affordable homeownership, and how Habitat helps homeowners achieve the strength, stability and self-reliance they need to build a better life for themselves and their families.
Since 1984, Habitat for Humanity’s Jimmy & Rosalynn Carter Work Project has drawn nearly 100,000 enthusiastic volunteers who have rolled up their sleeves to help build or improve homes in partnership with families in need of affordable housing. Together with the Carters, these volunteers have built, renovated or repaired more than 4,000 homes in 14 countries.
Please keep the following in mind when considering this application:
- Full-week participation is required — Sunday, Aug. 26 - Friday, Aug. 31, 2018.
- A limited number of spaces are available. If you are placed on the waiting list, you will be notified as soon as possible if a space becomes available.
- After completing the application, you will be asked to read and accept the Release and Waiver of Liability. Please read it thoroughly.
- Applicants will be notified of their application status within two weeks of submission.
- Participants must be 18 years of age or older.
- If you are applying as part of a group, please make sure each member of your group uses the same group name on his or her application.
The basic fee structure for the Carter Work Project 2018:
- Registration fees cover hotel, breakfast and lunch each build day and local ground transportation from the airport to the event hotel and return, as well as to and from the build site each day. Accepted applicants are responsible for making and paying for transportation arrangements to and from South Bend, Indiana.
- Participation fee with double-occupancy lodging: US$1,450.
- Accepted applicants will be given the opportunity to name a roommate. If you do not have a roommate, a same-sex roommate will be assigned.
- Participation fee with single-occupancy lodging: US$1,850.
- If your application is accepted, you will be required to make a non-refundable deposit of US$350 within three weeks of acceptance to reserve your space. This deposit will be deducted from the US$1,450/$1,850 participation fee.
- As part of the application process, participants will be asked to agree up front that they will either raise the balance of the funds or pay the remaining fee personally.
- Habitat will send reminders to all participants on key dates so you can maintain a minimum fundraising balance according to these milestone fundraising goals: US$850 by May 1, 2018, and the full balance of US$1,450/$1,850 by June 15, 2018.
- Habitat will offer a website with fundraising tools and advice to help participants meet these milestones.
- Should a participant become unable to attend the event, the deposit and other funds raised up to that point cannot be refunded and will go toward continued building in the South Bend, Indiana, area.
- Lodging will be provided beginning Sunday, Aug. 26 through Friday, Aug. 31 (six nights) in a selected hotel.
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks will be provided on the build site each day — Monday, Aug. 27 through Friday, Aug. 31. Participants are responsible for their own dinner Sunday through Friday.
Please do not make flight arrangements until you receive official notification of your acceptance by Habitat for Humanity.
- Participants will be asked to arrive in South Bend no later than 3 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 26.
- Local transportation will be provided from the South Bend International Airport to the event hotel on Sunday, Aug. 26, and from the hotel back to the airport on Saturday, Sept. 1. Transportation will also be provided from the event hotel to and from the build site each day.
- More details and exact times will be provided to accepted participants in their official notification of acceptance.