Argentina

Esmeralda 3430 Florida
Buenos Aires
Argentina

WebsiteA computer monitor with a mouse cursor displayed in the center hpha.org.ar/en
PhoneA smartphone +54 (114) 760-5810

HABITAT FACTS:

  • Habitat began working in Argentina in 2002.
  • Individuals served in FY2019 –    595
    • Through new constructions –            65
    • Through housing rehabilitation –      10
    • Through incremental building –            10  
    • Through repairs -          510
  • Volunteers hosted in FY2019 –   824

 

COUNTRY FACTS:

Capital city -- Buenos Aires
Population -- 44.5 million
Life expectancy76 years

Unemployment rate -- 8,5%
Below poverty line -- 27.3%

The housing need in Argentina

Argentina has a housing shortage of about 2.5 million homes* with 78% of those corresponding to repairable housing or overcrowding per room. The remaining 22% pertains to shortfall. In Buenos Aires alone, rentals, all in unspecified conditions, represent an estimated 35.1 percent of housing.**

Migration movements, the limited reach of social housing programs and the shortage of mortgage loans are factors affecting Argentina’s housing deficit, which is aggravated by the significant increase in land prices in recent years and high inflation.

*National Census of Habitat and Housing Population 2010.

** Observatory of Buenos Aires report 2018.

How Habitat addresses the need

Neighborhood development

Within Argentina’s economy, a large percentage of families are part of the informal housing market. The self-construction situation in neighborhoods where people pursue their own housing solutions means it can take up to 20 years for a house to be finished. These families must finance, administer and build housing despite scarce means and little to no finance and construction knowledge.

Our “seed house and incremental improvements” methodology is aimed at strengthening the capacities of families unable to take on the purchase or construction of decent housing. This opportunity allows them to build a safe home in financially accessible stages or incorporate significant upgrades to improve their quality of life right away. At the same time, families are trained in aspects of family economy, housing care and self-construction.

Urban solutions

This project focuses on families who pay rent in informal tenements, tenancies and pension hotels. The “Assisted Rent” project is carried out by recycling urban spaces and through workshops and guarantees, advocating the right to an adequate rent. It is being developed in Buenos Aires as part of the response to the urban problem and with strong advocacy in public policies. 

It is in this area where great achievements have been obtained in recent years, through joint work with NGOs, academia, government officials and others. At Buenos Aires municipal agencies, more flexible conditions for formal rental will allow thousands of families to access better living conditions. On the national government level, Habitat is advising the Ministry of the Interior’s Housing Secretariat to incorporate social rental as state policy.

What you can do

DONATE

For more information, visit: http://bit.ly/1pY43JQ

VOLUNTEER

Join the group of international volunteers who offer a minimum of three months of volunteering in exchange for lodging and an interdisciplinary professional experience. Write to [email protected], www.habitat.org/gv/catalog/lac

TITHE

Habitat affiliates in the United States can establish a tithe association to help build houses. Quote ARGENTINA on checks sent to: Habitat for Humanity International, Attn: Affiliate Tithe, 322 West Lamar St., Americus, GA 31709

CONTACT

Habitat for Humanity Argentina, Esmeralda 3430, West Florida, Zip code: 1604, Telephone: +54 (11) 4760-5810, [email protected], www.hpha.org.ar

Travel and Build

Volunteer with Habitat abroad through our Global Village program.

Stories and news