Habitat Young Professionals
Habitat Young Professionals supports affiliates’ local service while engaging young professionals as leaders, volunteers, advocates, educators and donors.
Habitat Young Professionals are grassroots volunteers who work within a local chapter to create change in their communities. Through the diverse demographic of young professionals and their talents, chapters create unity in sharing the vision of Habitat nationally and globally.
- Directly serve with homeowners and Habitat for Humanity International to help accomplish Habitat’s mission.
- Educate chapter members, the local community and members’ networks about the work and mission of Habitat.
- Advocate on behalf of people in need of decent shelter and for an end to poverty housing.
- Raise funds for the work of Habitat for Humanity.
- Participate and create space for transformational leadership and professional development.
- Build networking opportunities. Habitat for Humanity International’s Youth Programs will help connect HYP chapters with one another so they can better share ideas and lessons.
- Earn leadership opportunities. Established chapter members can join the HYP council or mentor new chapters, as well as engage with senior Habitat for Humanity International and affiliate staff.
- Build brand recognition. Each chapter gets and ongoing support from Habitat for Humanity International.
- Gain access to scholarships, grants and international travel.
- Gain access to training and resources designed specifically for HYP chapters to help recruit, engage and mobilize members.
Habitat Young Professionals newsletter
- Contact your local affiliate office to verify that there isn’t already a chapter in your area.
- Download the Chapter Establishment Guide. This will aid your group in getting started and connecting with a local affiliate, as well as with Habitat for Humanity International.
- Complete the HYP interest form to establish contact with the Habitat for Humanity International Young Professionals program and your nearest affiliate. Habitat for Humanity International will set up a conference call with chartering members and the affiliate to discuss the long-term vision for the chapter and the immediate steps that can be taken to begin building membership.
- During the chartering process, the chapter and the affiliate will sign the Habitat Young Professionals Chapter Covenant. Signing a covenant ensures the chapter is official and recognized by Habitat for Humanity International. An official charter affords the chapter and affiliate leaders to Habitat for Humanity International resources, including educational conference calls, access to registration scholarships to the Young Leaders Conference and literature only available to officially chartered chapters.
Young professionals are an essential part of continuing Habitat for Humanity’s leadership and volunteer base for younger generations. Participation in a Habitat Young Professionals chapter offers opportunities at Habitat affiliate offices in professional development, leadership, advocacy, fundraising and education.
The Habitat Young Professionals Advisory Council is comprised of members from various young professional chapters. Council members serve a two-year term, with a third-year option. Members are tasked with guiding the vision and implementation of Habitat for Humanity International’s Young Professional engagement, as well as informing Habitat for Humanity International leadership of what service opportunities interest young professionals.
If you have any questions about Habitat Young Professionals, or are interested in starting a chapter or becoming part of the Habitat Young Professionals Advisory Council, please email [email protected]. Follow along with us on Twitter at #HYP.