- Habitat began working in El Salvador in 1992.
- Individuals served in FY2019 – 97,760
- Through new constructions– 2,090
- Through housing rehabilitation – 420
- Through incremental building – 13,600
- Through repairs – 4,230
- Through professional services – 22,315
- Through market development – 55,105
- Volunteers hosted in FY2019 – 5,063
Capital city – San Salvador
Population -- 6.4 million
Life expectancy – 73.5 years
Unemployment rate – 7%
Below poverty line – 31.9%
The housing need in El Salvador
El Salvador is the smallest and most densely populated country in the American continents. Eight of every 10 Salvadorans live in inadequate conditions (INCAE-HPHI, 2016) and 3 of every 10 families live in extreme poverty (UNDP, 2015).
Many families lack access to sanitation, potable water, education, financing to improve their homes and land ownership.
El Salvador is one of the most vulnerable countries in the world, with natural threats of earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, floods and tropical storms.
How Habitat addresses the need
Building homes and communities
Habitat El Salvador builds affordable homes and enables improvements, based on each family’s needs. Further, each project is carried out under national and international construction standards. There is a catalogue with house designs and three funding modalities: credit, credit-subsidy and subsidy.
Our projects strengthen community development that is comprehensive, innovative and resilient. Thanks to the support of local and international volunteers and allies, we have a lasting impact on more families. Last year we launched several projects, such as:
- Juntos Construyendo mi Casa, or Building My House Together: We recognize the commitment of our team of masons to build safe and stable housing for Salvadoran families. However, many of those masons lack a decent place to live. With this project we serve masons and their families through the construction or improvement of their housing.
- Construyendo Empoderamiento con Mujeres, or Building Empowerment with Women: We are committed to working for gender equality and the empowerment of more women and girls. With this project we serve women in building homes and making improvements. We also foster them as defenders of their own rights through training and participation in fairs with institutions in the justice sector. We also train women in masonry, since they are capable of performing traditional male jobs, and with this learning, open a new path for moving forward together with their families.
What you can do
If you wish to donate, please go to the following link: https://www.habitatelsalvador.org.sv/donaciones
Join one the Global Village’s regular trips to El Salvador or organize your own group. For more information, visit: www.habitat.org/gv/catalog/lac
Habitat affiliates in the U.S. can establish a tithe partnership to help build houses. Quote EL SALVADOR on checks sent to: Habitat for Humanity International, Attn: Affiliate Tithe, 322 West Lamar St., Americus, GA 31709