About your program donation
Habitat’s Global Village program engages volunteers for the cause of adequate and affordable housing and helps build or improve homes in multiple countries around the world, including the United States.
Each volunteer contributes a program donation in support of Habitat’s vision of creating a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
The program donation is composed of two components:
1) A direct contribution to Habitat’s work in the location of the program and in support of all ongoing Global Village program related efforts.
2) The necessary funds to cover expenses incurred during the official program duration.* These expenses include:
- Construction-related technical oversight and interpretation support at a build site.
- Travel accident and sickness insurance.
- Trip cancellation insurance (international locations only).
- All meals and accommodations for the program duration.
- Ground transportation.
- Group celebrations or socio-cultural activities.
- A portion of your team leader’s airfare and program donation.
*Please note that a volunteer’s airfare to the program location and visa fees (if applicable) are not included in the program donation.
The portion of your program donation that is a direct contribution to the Habitat country program you are volunteering with is extremely valuable. This financial contribution helps to employ local country program coordinators as your partners for collaboration throughout the program duration, as well as skilled masons and laborers whom you will work alongside while you volunteer.
What is the value in volunteering?
We often get the question, “Why not just send the money?” or “Wouldn’t our donations go further by hiring local, skilled workers instead of relying on volunteers?”
By engaging volunteers in the building effort, Habitat is able to partner with more families in need of affordable shelter. Your donations are vital. We also believe that the lasting impact to be made by your willingness to help advocate for the cause of affordable shelter based on your tangible experience will further Habitat’s mission.
The benefits of time spent with your Habitat country program do not stop once you return home. When you share stories and learning of your experience, the vision of Habitat for Humanity spreads to more people than ever before.
Fundraising options are available for each Global Village program. Once you join a program, you will have access to our peer-to-peer fundraising platform that will make sharing your story with others simple and impactful. We have also developed a fundraising toolkit that offers more ideas for fundraising opportunities.
The program donation for your Global Village program is typically tax deductible, but you should consult with your tax professional for specific financial guidance. A tax receipt will be issued after each donation is made.
If you have questions about the program donation, email us at [email protected] or call 1-800-HABITAT.